Old October 15th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default ATTENTION PROCRASTINATORS - SSA CONTEST RULES COMMITTEE POLL AND ELECTION

Brilliant Mk VIII description & video and I just love the quote: -

"No solution is too complicated for a Lange glider, right Axel".

But the MkVIII itself clearly need to be updated, I mean using
actual panel switches is so last century: what's wrong with
voice actuation? Surely modern software could integrate the
extraction/retraction mechanism via the CAN bus to the
airspeed and undercarriage to prevent the dim witted pilot
from extending the wand when on the ground or when landing
(or, worse, when the glider was on its fuselage dolly)?
Extension at speeds above 120 knots could be accompanied by
a verbal warning that the airfoil has now gone non-laminar and
isn't the circular cross section of the existing carbon tube far
too draggy, shouldn't it be a special streamlined NACA section
type "PPP"?
As the carbon tube is already conductive this would allow the
software to administer appropriate warning voltages to the
(older Open class) pilot when it detected sloppy thermal
technique? The possibilities are endless; I hope Dave N has
patented the MkVIII
PS Is the parrot an extra?