Old December 21st 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Autorotations

Leonard Ellis wrote:

I had two Lycoming T53-L13A engines come apart in 1970 during my tour flying
Hueys in RVN (240th Assault Helicopter Company).

The first one happened at cruise (~100 kts) at perhaps 100 feet AGL while we
were flying east from Bearcat (near Long Thanh) to the coast along highway 1
just southeast of the Gia Ray massif. When the compressor blades let go, it
sounded like an explosion, I thought for a few seconds that we had taken an
RPG. Anyway, the autorotation and successful albeit skidding landing on a
paved highway went exactly like we trained for low-level autorotation.

Some great moments there Leonard. Of course I think you didn't think
that way as the engines came apart.

I retired in 1995 and, after flying a season with Papillon Grand Canyon
Helicopters, I had enough money to buy my dream aircraft, the RAF2000
Gyro. The reason I was choosing the Gyro was the ability to land on
country roads, stop the rotor and line it up fore and aft, and drive it
like a motorcycle to a country gas station or big Truck Stop for a
break, food and a shower and a motel for the night. Some time camping
beside the aircraft was another possibility I was looking forward to.
Adding the required lights, brakes and other safety equipment would be
no problem and the Gyro can be licensed as a homebuilt motorcycle. I
couldn't get my Sprint II ultralight street legal with the wings
attached so it wouldn't be worth the bother.

But even with it being street legal, too much driving on the tires would
not be good for it although good street tires can be found I think.

But health going down hill and getting married to a German Tourist I met
flying over the Canyon put the plans on hold. But I still think about it.

Reading all the posts here has been great. Posts about aircraft like the
mini 500 and others are good reading. Is there a place where a person
can go to see some of the helicopters people own here? Maybe someday
I'll get back on track with my old plans.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)