Old October 20th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Why no plywood monocoque homebuilts?

Howdy,

After reading a bit about the early Lockheed Vega, the Focker Albatross
DIII and the Dehavilland Mosquito I was a bit suprised that plywood
monocoque construction hasn't been used in any more modern airplanes.
(Or at least none that I can think of) What gives? Is it cheaper to use
glass than wood? Anyone here have any experience with this type of
construction and how it compares to truss style construction?

-Thanks!
-Matt