Old October 21st 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

Default Why no plywood monocoque homebuilts?

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:56:12 GMT, Ed Sullivan
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:58:52 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

How about the Barracuda?

Does the Barracuda get its strength from its skin, or from a wooden framework
with plywood covering it? I don't know.

I'm not sure how much strength the skin addes in the Cuda so I passed
this question on the the Barracuda users group. If my memory holds out
I'll bring their answer(s) back.

Again as I recall the Barracuda has a
Warren Truss Fuselage, that is it has both verticle and diagonal
members. the strength is shared. On the other hand DeHavilland
aircraft frame had only verticle members therefore the skin prevented
the structure from skewing.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com