Old October 3rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

Le Chaud Lapin wrote in
oups.com:

On Oct 3, 10:34 am, wrote:
Both Newton and Bernoulli are correct. Even inside a pipe the
static pressure drops as velocity increases. That's why your bottom
table jumps as you yank off the top one: you accelerated an airflow.
And in generating lift there's a displacement of air. Can't escape
that at all.

It is the removal of air from above the table that causes the lift.

If a person sucks on a straw, thus removing air from the inside of the
straw, the fluid rises into the straw from the container do to the

air/
fluid system outside the straw. This is the same phenomenon that is
occurring in my table scenario. In fact, I could enclose the entire
table scenario inside a tube, and cause the bottom table to rise up
off the ground. This has nothing to do with the velocity or
acceleration of air.

The stagnation point on a leading edge isn't right at the

front.
It's slightly below the wing, and as AOA increases it moves back
underneath quite a bit. It's not all intuitive, you see, and that
intuitive understanding of some of this stuff is where people get all
messed up and think they have the answers that have escaped all the
other experts all these years. We run into this attitude rather
frequently in the flight training industry. It tends to make the
student unteachable.

I do rely on intuition to figure things out, but most importantly, I'd
rather actually understand, than except shallow explanations.

I never attempted to contradict either Bernoulii or Newton. What I
keep saying is that I have seen too many situations where someone will
rattle of "Bernoulli's Principle" and not really understand it
themselves.

For example, as I mentioned earlier, I am reading Jeppesens Private
Pilot manual, and there are clearly errors in concept the manual
(energy being created by engine, for example), even though Jeppensen
probably has access to as many Ph.D. laureates as they want.

Yes, well, you obviously need to write a good old fashioned, angry,
frothng at the mouth letter to Jeppeson. I'm sure Elry will be suitably
rattled.

Bertie