Old March 26th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dwrobel

Default truck + 5th wheel RV + glider trailer ??

On Mar 26, 8:00 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
Steve,

I believe you would exceed length restrictions. California's limits are
defined in the following link:http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...guide/legalsiz...

Waynehttp://www.soaridaho.com/

"Steve Koerner" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone had ever tried using a fifth wheel RV to pull
a glider trailer.

This would make an ideal setup for going to glider contests if the
trailing dynamics were workable. I did a cursory look on the web
yesterday and found a 30 ft fifth wheel that did come equipped with a
trailer hitch.

It also would seem to be a fairly economic plan in that you can buy a
lot more house for your money with a 5th wheel compared to a
motorhome. When you get there, the house is disconnected leaving a
4X4 truck to pull you out of farm fields and run around town.

I'd suspect that a shorter RV with wheels near the aft hitch would
give the best chance of working well.- Hide quoted text -

Utah allows up to 65 ft without a permit and my truck, 5th wheel, and
16 ft ATV trailer combination is within this limit but a glider
trailer is a lot longer than 16 ft. Also, not all states allow
multiple trailers to be towed.