Old April 12th 04, 11:26 AM
Thomas Schoene

Henry J Cobb wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Are we getting to the point in history where the development of new
fighter plane models is going to cease?

Fnord!

I can't find the "United States military will only be able to afford
one airplane" quote.

Can somebody help me out here?

Norman Augustine, from _Augustine's Laws._ (And I think a version before
that in "The Widening Gyre" published in n_International Security_)

"In the year 2054, the entire defense budget will purchase just one
aircraft. This aircraft will have to be shared by the Air Force and Navy
3-1/2 days each per week except for leap year, when it will be made
available to the Marines for the extra day."

Of course, many of these so-called laws were actually intended to point out
the fallaciousness of simple extrapolation of statistical data.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872