Old March 10th 04, 05:47 PM
Dan Truesdell

I would assume, as others have, that the hold should be done in actual
or simulated instrument conditions, or on PC-ATD (I believe an
instructor has to be there for that). My view is that currency is not
just about time and numbers, but rather is about are your skills current
and safe for a foray into the clouds. I can shoot an ILS approach with
the best of them, but if I do 6 ILS approaches under the hood for
currency, I would be quite reluctant to do a partial panel NDB approach
in the soup. Taking a few trips around a hold, especially on a day with
a bit of wind, takes very little time, and will sharpen your skills to
the point of not just meeting the regs, but goes a long way in making
you really "current". Just my $.02.

Paul Tomblin wrote:
I recently did 6 approaches to get back current again, but I forgot to
do a hold. My last hold was less than 6 months ago, so I'm still legal
for a few more days. What counts as a hold to fit that vaguely worded
requirement?

- A self-assigned hold while flying solo VFR in VMC?
- A self-assigned hold while flying under foggles with a safety pilot
while VFR in VMC?
- A self-assigned hold while flying under foggles with a CFII
while IFR in VMC?
- A controller assigned hold while IFR in VMC?
- A controller assigned hold while IFR in IMC?
- A hold on a PC-ATD?

Also, what constitutes a hold?
- Doing the entry?
- Doing one full circuit?