Old October 7th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default dodged another one!

On 6-Oct-2006, Michelle P wrote:

Looks like 1995 was a good year for IO-540s!

I believe the bad crankshafts were manufactured beginning in 1997.

We got a factory rebuilt IO-360-C1C6 that was shipped just prior to Lycoming
identifying the problem with the crankshafts on these engines. Fortunately
for us, they just happened to use an older, reconditioned (to new specs)
crankshaft on ours. If we had opted for a new engine instead of a rebuilt,
we'd probably be grounded waiting for a NEW new crank.

-Elliott Drucker