Old November 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
pgbnh

Default MMU 5 DP lost comm question

See earlier post. "Illegal" was the wrong word. But, doing what you
advocated - navigating direct BIGGY using the handheld (AS THE PRIMARY NAV
SOURCE) is not permitted. The OP already indicated he could not navigate
direct BIGGY because he was not properly equipped.
wrote in message
Wrong..

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:41:19 -0500, "pgbnh"
wrote:

Ummm. I think :in this day and age anyone who flies IFR in IMC WITH a GPS
handheld, which would enable you to fly direct BIGGY, is just plain
illegal.

There are reasons that IFR certified GPS systems are certified
wrote in message
news

In this day and age, anyone who flies IFR in IMC withut a GPS
handheld, which would enable you to fly direct BIGGY, is just plain
foolish...

On 12 Nov 2007 04:10:11 GMT, Andrey Serbinenko
wrote:

A question to IR pilots.

Suppose we have the following situation: a flight departing from
MMU rw 23, cleared as follows: "Morristown 5 dep, vectors to BIGGY,
then V3, MAZIE, etc... 2000 feet, expect 4000 10 minutes after
departure, dep freq, squawk etc..."

Now, during climb-out via heading 210 we lose communication. It is IMC.
Standard question: what altitudes and routing you'd fly? The
aircraft we're flying is /U, so we can't navigate direct BIGGY.

First question: would you keep flying the DP, i.e. left turn 160?
If so, for how long would you fly heading 160 after you turn? Lost
comm instructions in the DP do not apply to us since we're southbound.
In order to get onto V3 you'd probably need to fly direct SBJ, and
proceed from there, but SBJ is not part of your clearance?

Second question -- the altitude: OROCA in the quadrant is 2900. MSA
provided by Jepp for CAT is 2000 in this sector. Would you climb
to 4000 right away, or you'd wait for 10 mins? MEAs of the airways
in that vicinity are 2300 and 3000 feet.

Andrey