Old April 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Jim Yanik

"Jim Doyle" wrote in
news

"Dweezil Dwarftosser" wrote in message
Jim Doyle wrote:

I am not on the troll here, I'm genuinely interested. Not too long
ago I visited the US and for a couple of nights stayed with a
family - the

father
kept a loaded AR15 (I think that was the designation, it was a semi
automatic version of the M16) and Browning 9mm for home protection.

saw no
need in that, apparently there'd not been a burglary in the

neighbourhood
for over ten years [...]

Did it ever occur to you that one possible reason there
had been no burglaries there in the preceeding twelve years
is because many of his neighbors were similarly armed? (And
the burglars would naturally seek less-dangerous territory?)

Just wondering...

Sure, that's probably exactly why there were no burglaries in the
area, doesn't solve the problem though does it? He didn't have a sign
in the window advertising this vast arsenal and the desire to kill
any sod who breaks into his house - deterrents only work if they are
known to be in place.

Not true.If a significant number of homes are suspected of being armed,the
odds of being shot while making a burglary attempt are much greater.And
even the unarmed homes are safer,as the criminals have no way of knowing
WHOSE homes are armed. It's like those businesses that post "NO guns
allowed" signs are prime targets for crime,because the crims can count on
no one inside being armed,thus vulnerable,AND safer for the criminal.

People will still burgle, if they're expecting armed resistance then
it'll just make them more desperate and quick to fire upon being
approached. 10,000+ firearm deaths kinda speaks for itself.

Jim Doyle

But you wrongly assume that the crims will *know* that armed resistance is
possible.Also,criminals do not want to risk any shootouts,as the chances of
THEM getting shot is high,and the noise draws attention.

They prefer unarmed victims,and surveys of incarcerated felons have shown
this to be true.
And much of those firaearm deaths are criminal-criminal shootings,like
druggies fighting it out.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net