Old July 28th 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mistral-C vs DG-100

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 7:28:31 PM UTC+1, Matt McBee wrote:
I have a DG-101 with conventional tail and one piece canopy. I can say that aerotow with the CG hook has been a total non-issue for me so far. Takeoffs are easy, just remember to follow the flight manual’s guidance. I mine, the trim should be set full forward for takeoff. I don’t know if this is true for the -100.

I have found the -101 to be a docile and responsive glider with very gentle and forgiving stall characteristics.

The airbrakes are only moderately effective, however.

Matt

The most important thing about buying a glider is to buy one that you know from reputation will sell well when you decide to upgrade - which you will at some stage as long as you stay in the sport. The glider market is pretty knowledeable so a glider that keeps it value does so for good reasons and when a glider type doesnt have that good reputation then there are also good reasons for it. Clues often are things like it not having sold many examples from new or coming from a factory that is no longer in business. Speaking as one whose first GRP glider was a Diamant 18 - but it was OK in the end because one of my syndicate partners wrote it off (shame about his fractured leg 'though)