Old July 7th 14, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default PowerFlarm, ADS-B, GPS again!!! (please don't flame me)

On Monday, July 7, 2014 6:05:17 AM UTC-7, RuudH wrote:
Op vrijdag 4 juli 2014 02:42:42 UTC+2 schreef SoaringXCellence:

We have a bunch of ADS-B (out) capable transponders that will be going into aircraft in the next few years (at least the only one I'm willing to install is going to have that capability).

EXCEPT we don't have a FAA approved GPS data source for the ADS-B out function available without installing another (read that expensive) GPS device in our crowded panel.

In Europe you can use any GPS source for ADS-B out.

In my glider I'm using the GNSS-FR as a gps source to supply the NMEA RMC to my mode-s transponder.

This works very nice.

Occasionally there are a few spurious fixes, but I have also seen this with professional installations (airlines, etc)

I'd post a sarcastic reply about usual European vs. USA aviation regulation and bureaucracy, but I can't find the right forms I need to do this.