Old February 9th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mandatory Radios

On Feb 8, 11:30*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Mike Schumann wrote:
But sometimes it's all not enough...
Unfortunately true. *Us pilots need all the help we can get.

Vaughn

Even if you do everything right, you can still be surprised. *A power
pilot could easily be monitoring the local CTAF frequencies on a cross
country only to unexpectedly encounter a glider who is talking on
123.3 (what power pilot would think of monitoring that???).

The only real solution is universal deployment of ADS-B on every
aircraft, including gliders, balloons, UAVs, military aircraft, etc.
With that, if you attach your ADS-B transceiver to a GPS, you will see
everybody. *No surprises. *The technology exists for ADS-B
transceivers to be available for ~$1K. *The only thing missing is the
political will in the FAA to permit this class of avionics to be
certified for VFR use. *We need to make our voices heard that we need
this NOW.

I can't find good graphics showing current ADS-B coverage, or scheduled
coverage. Can someone point out a source? A talk at the convention said
the FAA is holding well to it's installation schedule, which was good to
hear.

The July 2009 graphic I found didn't show much coverage out West, and
surprisingly, none in Colorado, so I don't trust it much.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org- Hide quoted text -

What so you mean by "coverage"
I thought the beauty of ADS-B is that it is an "aircraft to aircraft"
based system, no ground "coverage" necessary.
The other beauty is that ADS-B is NOT radar based, it is GPS based, so
it works in remote areas, like ALASKA where it is considered very
successful in reducing mid air collisions.

Another feature is ADS-B is the "extended squitter" which basically
broadcasts your GPS loacation every second, whether you transponder
gets "interrogated" or not.

We recently installed a Garmin GDL 90 for a customer.........

The unit itself is huge, like two shoe boxes in size, and
heavy........costs around $8K......This is a "blind box".. It
requires additional hardware to display info, it also requires THREE
antennas..........then there is the installation cost,...it is not so
simple to install.......etc.

Cookie