Old October 15th 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman[_2_]

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:39:57 AM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Wings & Wheels offer disc brake conversion kits for a number of makes of gliders. Here's the ad for Schempp-Hirth gliders: http://wingsandwheels.com/conversion...mpp-hirth.html

I have no experience with these kits (and no connection to W&W). At one time I was considering modifying my LS8-18, but I've since found the factory brakes work well enough if you keep them adjusted properly.

-John, Q3

On an LS8 I had with (useless) Tost drum brakes I sent the wheel to Vintage Brake in CA to reline the drums and replace the shoes with good ones. After that it actually braked! Low cost solution for drum brakes.
Warning: if you want to do this mod send it soon because they get backed up with vintage motorcycles and they only do this work in Winter, after that they go racing!