Old October 10th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 5:52:57 PM UTC-6, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
So does this system work with Power Flarm? Mark said it does but in the documentation it does not seem to mention anything about Power Flarm, just Flarm V6 which I'm am not sure if refers to power flarm or the old Legacy flarm that is not allowed in the US. I'm wondering because if it does work with Power Flarm then I will get one for me and my partners glider since we don't have funds for a power flarm, but would like to have some sort of collision avoidance system.

I can see PowerFlarm equipped sailplanes. Pretty sure the author of the documentation is using a Flarm, and not a PowerFlarm, thus his reference to "Flarm". If you decide to buy the LoRa/Flarm device, be sure to order the 915 MHz unit and an additional antenna (also 915 MHz). The antenna that comes standard has a fairly limited range. So far there have been no interference problems with PowerFlarm units that I am aware of, this includes ground tests where the LoRa unit and a portable PowerFlarm were very close to each other.

Keep looking outside.

Mike