Old September 9th 05, 01:41 PM
jamin3508

Default Approaches and takeoff mins.

Today I awoke to find a cloud sitting on the ground bringing the vis down
to 1/16th of a mile. All the airlines here in KROC were forced to hold
from takeoff until it lifted a little. I know that the part 91 is 0/0
unless otherwise noted, what about part 131 or the airlines? Do they have
different takeoff mins? My next question is about the approach to
landing....if the wx during the landing was like this morning right, below
mins for sure (1/16th SM VV100), could a part 91 still attempt the approach
hopeing the was a hole in the scud and see the runway, but knowing its
below mins and will most likely go missed? What about the airlines and air
carriers, could they attempt the approach when the wx is below mins? I
guess what Im trying to ask is.....anyone allowed to attempt a approach
when the wx is below mins? What if the field is uncontrolled with an ILS
and does have AWOS reporting below mins. Does is matter if its controlled
or not? Im just wondering about this, dont get me wrong, I would NEVER
attempt a approach thats below mins. Just courious if its stated somewhere
in the FARS (I couldnt find it) about the approach to landing with below
mins WX.....thanks for the imput!

-Ben