Old September 18th 03, 04:24 AM
Wayne

Yesterday, I went to AOO Altoona, Pa and ran into my friend, in the
plane that he loaned to me for my training. He was just getting there as was
I and he told me that he had no left brake. we check it out and found a
leak, naturally where we couldn't get to it easily. I left for Lost Acres
(8PN0) before him, and got there in time to see a new pilot in the area do a
go-round. He was way too fast and was going to touch down way to far down
the 1800' runway. Two of us landed, and then he came back, he slid off the
end of the runway, just barely, shopped a corn stock or two. We ran out and
pushed the plane back, and then I saw my friend with the plane with no left
brake entering the pattern. We told the "corn farmer" we would push his
plane aside and watch the landing since he wasn't able to use much braking
at all. He used just slightly more than half the runway, and taxied off to
park.

The poor guy is taking all kinds of comments after that one. The owner
told him he needed to get a 4 blade prop, so it could do a better job on the
corn. The other guy wasn't too bothered, he flew the plane a few hundred
miles today and got the parts he needed while he was out. The corn plane was
a 152, the brakeless one was a 150. Had to share....
Wayne

They might not be able to stop on a short runway if they had to divert in

an
emergency. The plane wasn't legal. The insurance probably was invalid
because the plane wasn't airworthy.