Old March 27th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default ELT replacement: Options?

me wrote:
I sure did..

Just today I ordered the ACK E01 121.5 ELT $215.00 from sky geek to replace
the pointer 3000 installed in my plane.
My reason for replacement was that the pointer unit was interfering (
radiating a harmonic signal on the gps frequency )with the Garmin gps after
the waas upgrade. This is a known problem with elt's in certain
installations. It would knock the gps signal completely out when
transmitting on the com radios on certain test frequencies.

The company that stood out in customer service by a wide margin was ACK.
They helped me to trouble shoot the issue and even sent me an antenna to
test on my plane. That was before even committing to purchase their unit. I
borrowed the ack unit to try and I was able to eliminate the interference.

The reason I went with the 121.5 unit rather than the 406mhz one was due to
the price difference. I will get a few years use out of this unit and as the
other manufactures ( artex is the only one available now ) bring their 406
units to market the price will come down from $1000 that it is at now. I
already own and carry a portable PLB 406 unit with a built in gps when
flying.

Good luck with your purchase.....

"Peter R." wrote in message

I was just informed by my mechanic who is performing my annual that my ELT
is
fried and needs replacing. I have two choices: Replace the Artex model
with
the same one, or upgrade to a newer unit that transmits on the new
frequency.

If I go with the replacing the existing model, it transmits on a frequency
that won't be monitored by satellites starting sometime 2009. Of course,
there is a big discrepancy in price between the two types of units.
Regardless of what one I choose, I have to include the cost of installing
remote test switch, since my aircraft doesn't currently have one.

Has anyone else faced this decision recently? If so, what model did you
choose?

--
Peter

That is really interesting. I have a Pointer 3000. I was getting
interference from FM stations breaking the squelch on the 2 MK12 Ds I
have. I found out that the Pointer is the cause. I contacted Pointer and
they fixed it. That problem went away. I also found out that certain COM
frequencies can upset a GPS. That is published information. (Don't go
asking me to locate it now.) But I never heard that a Pointer would
upset a GPS.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP