Old July 13th 04, 02:48 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 13 Jul 2004 00:37:45 GMT, (HankPilot2002) wrote:

I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance. I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

Hank

Maybe because I haven't been bitten, yet, but I would not have been
concerned about a Gulfstream in that circumstance. I would be concerned
about a "heavy" that close, though. Winds may also be a factor.