Old July 13th 04, 03:28 AM
vincent p. norris

I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance.

IIRC, the wake descends only about 500 feet, so you would have been
well below it. Probably wouldn't have descended even that far if you
were less than a mile away.

If the Gulfstream was cruising, clean, the turbulence would not have
been serious anyway.

Years ago, I spotted a wide-body crossing right to left, four or five
miles in front of me, and just barely above my altitude.

A couple of minutes later, I felt one quick bump.

vince norris

I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

Hank