Old January 20th 05, 04:15 AM
Matt Barrow

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi all,

Thinking about taking the 172 from Boston to Montreal because it just

isn't
cold enough here in New England. I love Montreal but the 6+ hour drive is
just a little too much for a weekend trip and it looks like the Skyhawk
could meet the airlines on price for 2 people and probably beat them on

time
if I figure it door-to-door. With airways routing it looks like about
200-220NM. Can you really do it in two hours, wheels up?

I've looked at AOPA and googled around but nothing provides a nice,

concise,
"Here's how it's done" guide.

http://www.navcanada.ca/navcanada.asp
http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/
What documents do I need? Are 3" N-Numbers OK?
How do I file the flight plan (I'm assuming it's simpler to just go IFR)?

Do
I need a radio license? Am I better off flying straight to my destination

or
should I land and clear customs near the border?

Ideally I'd love to hear a narrative of this trip done within the past
couple years by somebody else, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Went to Calgary a few years ago for the "Calgary Stampede" (sorry, it was
pre-9/11 -- things may be different now). It was just like flying in the
west except going through Customs (and they were MUCH nicer than US Customs
coming back). I recall of tiny bit of difference handing off from US to
Canadian controllers, but nothing significant.

It just took a bit getting used to ending transmissions in "Eh", rather than
"Roger".

Some others you might find useful.

http://worldaerodata.com/countries/Canada.html
http://www.tc.gc.ca/pacific/air/airport/menu.htm