Old November 13th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default MMU 5 DP lost comm question

"Andrey Serbinenko" wrote in message

A question to IR pilots.

Suppose we have the following situation: a flight departing from
MMU rw 23, cleared as follows: "Morristown 5 dep, vectors to BIGGY,
then V3, MAZIE, etc... 2000 feet, expect 4000 10 minutes after
departure, dep freq, squawk etc..."

Now, during climb-out via heading 210 we lose communication. It is IMC.
Standard question: what altitudes and routing you'd fly? The
aircraft we're flying is /U, so we can't navigate direct BIGGY.

First question: would you keep flying the DP, i.e. left turn 160?

No.

If so, for how long would you fly heading 160 after you turn? Lost
comm instructions in the DP do not apply to us since we're southbound.
In order to get onto V3 you'd probably need to fly direct SBJ, and
proceed from there, but SBJ is not part of your clearance?

The DP states "....as per notes or via vectors to assigned route/fix." The
note for BIGGY states, "departures expect vectors via SBJ/SBJ R-237." Looks
to me like SBJ is part of the clearance.

Second question -- the altitude: OROCA in the quadrant is 2900. MSA
provided by Jepp for CAT is 2000 in this sector. Would you climb
to 4000 right away, or you'd wait for 10 mins? MEAs of the airways
in that vicinity are 2300 and 3000 feet.

I'd proceed direct to SBJ and join V3, maintain 2000 until BIGGY, climb to
2500, climb to 4000 ten minutes after departure.