Old May 24th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 46U

Default Next step(s) in purchase?

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:41:42 -0600, "Douglas Paterson"
wrote:

Hello, R.A.O.!

I'm returning to the well, hoping to continue a trend. If you recall (or
care to research) the messages I've posted over the last year or so, you'll
find I've been getting some great advice and stimulating discussion on
selecting an airplane (my first). After considering all inputs and my own
desires & mission, I've decided to go for... the TB-20 Socata "Trinidad."

snip

From the standpoint of one who went through your process, culminating
in a purchase in February, it appears to me that you pretty well have
your ducks in a row. I also bought a rarer bird, a Grumman Cheetah,
making the search quite similar to yours.

As I indicated in an earlier posting about that purchase, the ability
to remain as clinical as possible is your biggest asset. The more you
research, the more you know, and knowledge is power. By the time you
get to negotiations, you should know most Trinidads on the market and
how the one you're looking at compares.

The pre-buy seems to me to be the key to your deal. I second the idea
of getting the owner to suggest three nearby candidates, then
selecting the one you want. We used to use this process in arbitration
matters, and it usually works well.

The idea of taking a CFI with you to fly home is a good one. I did
that and am very grateful I did. Not only did I have the benefit of a
Grumman expert's knowledge, but my insurance reflected that
experience. I also did my BFR in the airplane a couple days after
purchase, and that was a great experience.

Just a few ideas. Best of luck on your search. Please buy soon so
you can start adding your AMUs to the pot; it will make us all feel
better.

Michael