Old February 24th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike Young

Default Welding 4130...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Feb 23, 5:20 pm, "Blueskies" wrote:
:
: and I need about 1' of 3" wide 0.065" 4130, so I am planning to buy
some strips from them also.
:
: Side note, any hints on cutting the strip?
:
:
: Buy a metal-cutting abrasive disc (chop-saw disc) at the hardware
: store in a size that'll fit your table saw. It'll zip through 4130
: nicely. Lots of noise, lots of sparks, so wear hearing and eye
: protection and make sure your work area is free of anything that might
: burn or smolder.
:
: Dan
:

Good idea, thanks!

lotsa sparks, smoldering, noise! Life is good!

Great for entertaining the grandkids, but not so good if you're an arbor
bearing. The grit accelerates wear... yada yada. For stuff that size, buy a
small bench shear from Grizzly or Horrible Fright. It'll cost less than
overhauling your good power tools, not to mention being generally useful for
sheet metal work.