Old June 30th 04, 07:07 AM
tango4

One of my first instructors would whistle and hum to himself if you were
doing well. When the whistling stopped, look out, the next thing was usually
him stretching forward to beat you around the ears with his hat.

In answer to his heavily German accented 'where are your wings?', usually
meant to inquire about the diversion of the string from the straight back
position, I once replied 'well there's one there and one there' nodding
first left then right. At that point I think he unscrewed the stick from the
rear seat of the bergfalke and hit me with that because it certainly wasn't
a cap that he hit me with! I reckon that smart alec comment delayed my solo
by months!

Fond memories!

Me? A bit of silent verbal abuse when I'm down in the weeds. I have been
known to whistle and hum when its going well, looks like the training stuck!

Ian

"Raymond" wrote in message
I tend to sing to myself during the flight - generally I make up the
lyrics. They are usually something related to flying. I find the cadence
of the music keeps my scan sequence regular.

When I get nervous, I stop singing.

I don't know which is more annoying.

Raymond Swartz

Slick wrote:

Any of you have annoying habits when you start to get nervous about your
flight? I swallow hard and lick my lips a lot when I start to get low

and
un-sure of where the next thermal is. Anyone else do anything like this?