Old November 16th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Can a Grumman Goose use normal marine/auto gas?

In article ,
togx wrote:

For purposes of a fiction novel I'm working on, I need to know if an old
Grumman Goose could use fuel found at a marine refilling pier (mogas =
auto gas, not diesel) instead of the usual avgas. It is only needed for
one trip (not permanently) and hopefully not cause "major" damage to the
P&W engines. If not, is there some additive that would temporarily make
it possible for the one trip or some quick adjustment to the
engine/fuel-systems? Thanks for any help.

IIRC, the R-985s in the Goose are 80/87 engines, so they would be quite
happy running on (great gobs of) unleaded, alcohol-free mogas. In fact,
there are STCs for the Beech 18 to use mogas.