Old February 5th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Looking for a parachute, wing stand and a one-man rigger

My LAK-17a required two height settings, low for pushing the wings home
and high for setting the pins.Â* I simply marked those settings with a
Sharpie.Â* I don't think drilling holes for safety pins would weaken the
uprights very much, but I would drill the holes for the set screws to
fit into.Â* Maybe even thread them.

I've helped rig a LAK-12 several times and, though heavy, the wing tips
aren't that bad.Â* The roots, on the other hand...

On 2/5/2020 4:37 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 22:03:36 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used
market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country
are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.
For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from
Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra
padding as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...-Work-Support-

AC9934/100618242
I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps
over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is
heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty
stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more
positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing
other things.

It should be easy enough to drill a hole for a locking pin once you know
the best height setting. Is this a good idea, or would it weaken the
upright too much?

--
Dan, 5J