Old April 19th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Piper Seneca

Don't plan on staying in icing conditions, just because you are have a
known icing package. Some do, I suppose it is a personal choice. Not all
icing conditions are the same.

I would not consider a I but a II or III. My understanding is the IV and
V have gained too much weight in fiberglass and jazz. Anybody have any
basic operating weights?? So most twin for dollar a 2 or 3.

My Seneca III (3250, deiced, a/c and colour radar). I think air
conditioning added 70 pds about. 1500 pound usefull load. Full long
range fuel, 750 pds.
I fly at 65 percent power, do not fully lean out the engines, 25 gph and
get 167 kts at 8 or 9 thousand feet. After two hours 176 kts. Typically
300 pds under gross at take off.

When you own the engines you really treat them nice.

An Aztruck is also a serious consideration.

Frode Berg wrote:
hi all!

This might be a silly question, but I am dreaming of owning, or co-owning a
Piper Seneca.
Not this year or next, but maybe within the next 10 years.

I have been browsing the aircraft for sale sites, and found planes from the
70's (Seneca II) selling for as low as $139K with about half time remaining
on the engines and props.

Anyone care to share the pro's and con's of the different models? (I-V)
Obviously, I will not be able to afford a V, so far, only the II's seem
accessible sort of.
Anything worth knowing about this model? Bad things?

Also, I understand maintenance will be about double of what I have now
(Arrow 180).
Any other traps to consider cost wise going for a twin?

Any other aircraft in the same price range that might be better choices?

I'm looking for a piston certified for Icing conditions.
I also want a twin, as I'll be flying over mountains and have nightmares
about engine out's in IMC and icing conditions over mountain terrain.....

Thanks for any hints,

Frode