Old March 13th 15, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 6:31:41 PM UTC+13, Surge wrote:
On Friday, 13 March 2015 05:23:49 UTC+2, Bill D wrote:
I have owned a N2C and I would not recommend it to a pilot without several hundred hours experience in another high performance flapped glider.

Wow! That bad.
I found a similar thread with similar advice https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/zwO51PdZW00
It's just a pity that access to other flapped gliders is rather limited or expensive in my case.

I've never flown a Nimbus, but I've got a fair bit of experience in the first generation Janus, also with flaps and all-flying tailplane.

To be honest, I'm not sure that hours matter that much with these aircraft. You either "get" them or you don't.

I had 75 hours total, 54 hours PIC, when I started flying the Janus. It was new to our club and expensive and they were very protective of it, so I had to do nine dual takeoffs and landings in a variety of weather conditions before they gave me my (pax) rating in it.

I've seen other people, experienced instructors in Grobs with hundreds of hours, who took one or two flights in the Janus and declared they'd never set foot in it again.

I definitely would recommend you to find an early model Janus and do a few dual flights in it before flying the Nimbus (preferably before deciding to buy it), even if you have to travel to do so.