Old March 17th 21, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

Winching we teach keeping the hand on the release for the entire launch.

With CG hook on aerotow, same applies as tow pilot preservation becomes paramount. I've had to release twice in the air (tow speed too low).

BGA Safe Winch Launching advises releasing before wing contacts the ground if you can't stop the wing drop.

I find rudder works better than ailerons in keeping the wings off the ground in the early ground roll. It depends on your glider. YMMV