Old March 17th 21, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

I was surprised to read that the launch procedure was compromised at Seminole and resulted in a bad accident.
I wish Tom a full quick and complete recovery.
This is a old problem.

Several years ago at the SSB camp in Salida I was the next to go when a SSB instructor pulled up and left his car, off the runway, but in front of me just where I thought I'd hit it if the the launch went bad. I released the rope and refused to launch until he moved his car.
He threw a tizzy at me but I refused to launch and held up the line, until he moved his car behind the launch point.
Nothing got bent out of shape that day but the SSB Instructor's ego.
We've got to hold the line on safety, soaring is so dangerous already.
Fly safe in 2021
Nick