Old March 18th 21, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

I routinely start my ASH26E in negative flap, but there is no need change to positive flaps
until 20-25 knots IAS. So, until then, I keep my hand near (not on) the release. That's if I'm
being towed; if it's a self-launch, I keep my hand behind the spoiler handle.

wrote on 3/17/2021 7:18 PM:
Common procedure for aerotow with a flapped glider involves starting in negative flap to get aileron control authority early, then moving back to zero/+1/whatever.

Can't really have hand on the release handle under those circumstances - but can make a mental note of knowing where it is, and practice dropping the flap handle & grabbing it pre takeoff.

Nick.

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 4:14:38 AM UTC+10:30, wrote:
Winching we teach keeping the hand on the release for the entire launch.

With CG hook on aerotow, same applies as tow pilot preservation becomes paramount. I've had to release twice in the air (tow speed too low).

BGA Safe Winch Launching advises releasing before wing contacts the ground if you can't stop the wing drop.

I find rudder works better than ailerons in keeping the wings off the ground in the early ground roll. It depends on your glider. YMMV