Old January 3rd 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Garmin 480 versus 530

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Our club is examining the question of putting one of these on one or two
of our planes. I'm a big fan of the 480 based on what I've read, but the
A&P who does all our work has disparaging things to say about them and
really pushes the 430/530 based on reliability and also about how much
easier the user interface is to learn and remember. Does anybody have any
similar experiences?

I've had zero problems with my 480. The user interface is FAR superior
to the 530. The only thing that is difficult is that it's DIFFERENT
than the 530 or the 430/530's Garmin predecessors. For those who are
starting from scratch, they don't have bad habits to unlearn.

Those who denigrate the 530 haven't really spent much time looking at
them. The Apollo guys knew how to build an IFR GPS.