Old November 1st 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Gliding risk....

What Ramy says is true, in the US at least. A look at NTSB accident reports shows that experienced pilots (including commercial pilots, frequent contest participants, and the like) make up a large or even the largest share of fatalities. Fatal accidents involving very low-time pilots are quite rare..

My own interpretation of this is that complacency can be a much bigger safety problem than lack of skill.

I have more than 4000 hours flown over 48 years. I think I am smack in the middle of the most dangerous demographic.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"