Old June 3rd 04, 04:53 AM
A Lieberman

James Robinson wrote:

G Farris wrote:

There's another video - maybe someone here knows a link to it - of a 747 in a
similar crosswind situation at Hong Kong's old Kai-Tek airport. They managed
to kick it straight and slam it down - I wonder what THAT must feel like
back in row #269!!

If it's the one I'm think of, it was a Korean Airlines aircraft, and
there was no apparent crosswind. The pilot simply overshot when turning
base, and did a last minute correction to line up and avoid a go-around.
He dumped it on the runway while still slipping, but had kicked it in
alignment just in time. So much for a stabilized approach.

Go to Jay's web page that shows video's
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm.

Look at the wind sock to the right of the runway 3 seconds into the
movie.

It appeared to me that the 747 had a quartering tail wind / crosswind.

Camera angle seemed a little deceptive, and it may have been a true
crosswind situation or....

His approach was too high, and he slipped it in just like us little
guys.

Since he landed on his left wheel(s) first, I would suspect that he
slipped the plane in rather then crosswind adjustment or he would have
tried to land on the upwind wheel (right wheels).

My guess anyway.....

Allen