Old December 11th 03, 03:08 PM
Mark

wrote in message ...
Where is the cheapest place to get dual training in an R22 helicopter?

Dennis:
Sorry in advance, I don't mean to slam you. However I just want to
give people something to think about when asking this question.

"Where is the cheapest place to get a helicopter license".

I've been asked this questions a lot about a Private Pilots license.
My reply has always been to ask the person if they needed a Kidney
transplant would they shop around for the cheapest doctor? Flying is
not like buying a car where you try to get the cheapest price
possible. Your life as well as your passengers are in your hands.
I've seen a lot of instructors I wouldn't even fly with let alone have
them teach me anything.

Another think for new pilots to consider is your training is ONLY the
cover charge, keeping your license current is the true cost of flying.
I've known a lot of pilots that spent a great deal of money getting a
license and then be in debt so they can't fly as much as they need to
to stay safe and current.

When considering becoming a pilot, save up the money needed to get the
license BEFORE you start training. Then set aside an allowance each
month towards flying. Keep in mind that the hours the FAA says you
need to stay current is no where close to what you need to be safe. I
would guess 6 hours a month is the least amount you want to fly. Can
you afford this?

Now, if you say you want to fly for a living then getting the cheapest
instruction will hamper you when competing for a job. As in most
things in life, you get what you pay for.