Old August 18th 03, 01:09 PM
Corky Scott

On 18 Aug 2003 01:41:56 -0700, (Holger Stephan)
wrote:

I was contacted with a question about this engine and since I know zip
about it I'd like to relay this to the group.

"My husband pulls modified tractors and has just switched over to his
first allison engine. He is having problems with his CG aircraft
carburetor , the engine starts on the priming fuel but won't continue
running. There is fuel pressure - but there seems to be a spot where
the fuel stops flowing.... (ignore the wifely tries at explaining this
please!) OK so what I'm looking for is a manual or a website that may
have some answers - do you have any ideas that can help?"

After receiving this question I asked for more detailed information
and received this:

"The engine is not a turbine and is not hooked to an aircraft. It is
sitting in a tractor frame for pulling (you know, they show it once
and a while on TV...) He pulls locally (a weighted sled to see how far
down the track he can get.)
OK other questions: It is a 1710 allison v-12 engine WWII p 38 engine.
The carburetor is a CG Aircraft Carburetor Model 1 685 F and we know
very little about it and we have even checked with Holley but they
said they don't keep manuals dating that far back. Someone should?
Wouldn't you think so?
My husband keeps telling me to type that the carburetor was used on
v-12 PT boats."

Can you guys help her? Contact me for a direct contact. I don't want
to blast it out without her permission.

Thanks!

Holger

Here's a possibility. Go to the "Glacier Girl" website
http://www.irco.com/pressroom/irworld/archives/janfeb03/glaciergirl,
it's the site created to cover the recovery and rebuilding of a P-38
that was buried in ice in Greenland.

It's now flying so they must have someone who knows how to get the
Allison's tuned properly.

Corky Scott