Old August 19th 03, 02:43 AM
Holger Stephan

Thanks to Corrie, John and Scott! Your answers are read by Sue and her
husband and they gave following response:

"Some of the info was helpful and there are a lot of great ideas. As usual
- there is an upcoming event in less then ten days and we are trying to
make it. Maybe the following info will help - I'm not sure, well I just
seem to be asking so much of this wonderful group... but here it goes...
To answer a few questions: The guy we bought the engine from was a very
well known boat racer.* He said the carburetor was from the packard v-12
2500 cubic inch pt boat motor. He gets the carburetor's from another
source and has always placed them on the engine with-out any problems
since the carburetor's arrive brand new. OK the following is directly from
my husband's mouth: "The problem I am having -I prime the engine, I fire
the engine, it starts, runs for about ten seconds and then backfires
through the carburetor and then shuts off. I have gone through the
procedure of letting the carburetor soak with gas in it as the rebuilt
manual for the engine stated. *We tried adjusting the fuel mixture, fuel
pressure, engine timing and got it to run for a longer period of time but
then without touching the trottle the rpm started winding the engine up to
and over 3000. I had to use the kill switch." When the "beast" ( my name)
finally starts - I'll snap a picture and send it through. Hopefully it
will be an allison flying down a dirt track - of all things!"

Sue's address is sldaku a t sunlink d o t net (she gave permission to post
it).

So, it's 10 days to get that allison go fly again!

- Holger