Old May 23rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Engine-out procedures and eccentric forces on engine pylons

Bob Moore writes:

You should see what those pylons do in heavy turbulence!
The only stress is on the pilot who looks at them. :-)

I've seen engine nacelles swaying merrily to and fro (along the wing axis) in
turbulence but I didn't know if twisting forces applied to the pylons would be
so easily tolerated.

As it is, modern pylons, so seemingly frail and so apparently inviting of very
concentrated stresses as they hold the engines way out in front of the wing,
always look like an invitation for trouble to me. But I suppose if they are
engineered properly they can hold, rather like that glass walkway that the
Havasupai recently built out over the Grand Canyon.