Old February 26th 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

Default Lx mini map

On Feb 25, 4:51*am, Dave Wallis
wrote:
We are thinking of replacing our PDA with a mini map does anybody have any

Which PDA are you looking to replace?
Consider the performance of up-to-date PDAs:

I found this to be helpful:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.htm

Note that a fair comparison of these systems would be one with recent
PDAs with transflective displays that have excellent sunlight
readability.
I found the (now slightly outdated) HP iPAQ 310/312/314 series of
portable navigation devices very nice - the screen is extremely bright
and works great even in sunlight.
It runs WinCE, so it will run a range of gliding software. I have two
of these, but find that powering them externally is possible, but
problematic. The battery doesn't last very long.

The other popular option has been to use an Android device. The Dell
Streak 5 (available, just like the iPAQ, probably for around £130-170,
e.g. on eBay) has an excellent, transflective, sunlight-readable
display, which is even better than the iPAQ 310. The battery lasts a
long time (several hours). It is extremely easy to update, and
software can be installed very comfortably. There's a built-in GPS,
and you can hook it up to Varios via different means, including
Bluetooth (haven't tried yet, but others are using it that way).
The Streak runs Android, and as such is limited to XCSoar (an
excellent choice).

Check out this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...adb0c04fe33040