Old February 12th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:23:56 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, screw the helmet idea!Â* Who needs the weight?Â* If you're gonna go
that far, why not a set of light weight glasses with a bluetooth
receiver built in and all of your flight and collision avoidance
information focused at infinity through the glasses kinda like a HUD.Â*
Cockpit sensors would track the glasses and adjust the picture to the
viewing angle.

Agree on the weight - what I'm thinking is more like a shell to hold the visor, electronics, mike, earphones, position sensor, cooling fan (why not?). More like a bike helmet than what we used to wear.

Glasses are OK but the field of view is limited - If you have tried a Hololens vs Oculus Rift you know what I mean. I would want the "HUD" to have at least 200 degrees of FOV so it would show traffic that I'm not looking directly at.

Anyway - all the cool sports wear helmets - chicks dig them!

Kirk
66