Old April 21st 04, 10:59 PM
Dave Stadt

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Unfortunately, you are buying into exactly the reasons for the Cirrus'

poor
history.

First, the chute is not an option, it is a necessity. When the airplane
reaches a particular state or meets a certain set of parameters, your only
possible course of action is to deploy the BRS. When you reach a

particular
state, if you are in an Archer or a 172, you can recover. But if you are

in
a Cirrus, you absolutely must deploy the BRS; there is no recovery.

Second, you made the statement: "THEN we can start discussing when to pull
it (the chute)." Unfortunately, it is not a matter that can be discussed.
Again, when the airplane reaches a particular state or meets a certain set
of parameters, your only possible course of action is to deploy the BRS.
There is no room for discussion.

Now let me give you an example that is in no way indicative of the

operation
of the Cirrus. You go out to fly a new airplane. On the panel is a placard
reading: "Nose-up angles greater than 30 degrees will render this aircraft
uncontrollable and control cannot be regained. The BRS must be deployed
immediately or it will not be effective". So, you're flying along and

exceed
a 30 degree nose-up attitude, and you get a warning horn. A panel scan

tells
you that you have exceeded the allowed angle. So what do you do?

I would leave before anyone has a chance to reach for the start switch.