Old May 8th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Buying a Glider

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 8:00:51 AM UTC-6, wrote:
" So you’re saying that all experimental gliders need program letters? "

No, I didn't say that. I was just pointing out one of the obstacles of useing an experimental glider in a club environment.

----------

I just pulled up a copy of a current "old style" ops limitations.

Paragraph 1 says "no person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose for which the special purpose airworthiness certificate was issued and shall be operated in compliance with applicable FAA general operating and flight rules. "

What's the special purpose airworthiness certificate issued for,
Exhibition and Racing.

Not meandering,training,time building or sight seeing.

Exhibition and racing uses are further defined by the FAA. Club use does not fit.

I guess there's no problem with a club owning one. It's the pilot that is at risk, and in a club environment most pilots have no idea. They probably never even read the ops limitations.

Perhaps we should start a new thread if we are going to continue this communication, rather than drift from the OP,original questions.

Should say something about proficiency flights.

Frank Whiteley