Old February 23rd 05, 02:56 PM
gregscheetah

Thanks for everyone's help. Great source of information.

And, Yes, the FSS briefer read the NOTAM about the unlit towers. They
also read a notam about MSA from Pioneer increasing to 3200 for ILS RWY
17. I then specifically asked if the ILS was in service. The answer
was "yes".

Even when I asked center about the GS problem they were not aware of
it.

Since I was snowed / iced in at Wichita for the next day, I went to the
FSS and Tower and asked them what I had done wrong. I wanted to find
out what I should have done in order to not make this mistake again.

I found that there are two references I will forever use: the biweekly
notams booklet and A/FD. If you want this info from the briefer, you
must ask the FSS briefer for the FDC notams and D notams. They may
have to go get the book, and you may have to wait, but that is the only
way to get the info if you don't have the biweekly notam booklet.

There is a good reference on Avweb on this issue: The Notam Mess:
http://www.avweb.com/news/system/183201-1.html

That article mentioned that Jeppesen does a good job of incorporating
the FDC notams into their charts. If anyone has a Jepp chart of PNC, I
would be interested to know if it has the GS OTS note. This would be
one + for using the jepp charts.

Did the briefer specifically say that the ILS was operational, or did
he just fail to mention the GS OTS notam?