Old December 22nd 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Broken wing

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

Stubby wrote:

Way back, I believe the first jet passenger jet was the Lockheed
Electra. The plane mysteriously fell out of the air and very thorough
search for a cause was instituted. In the end, again if I remember
correctly, the conclusion was that the wing spar failed from fatigue
because the wing was nutating, a slight circular motion due to
gyroscopic effects.

Maybe that's the same thing caused the FL seaplane crash.

Except the Electra wasn't a jet. Maybe you are thinking of the Comet.

The Electra did, however, have a string of catastrophic early failures,
which were eventually traced to metal fatigue in the wing or fuselage
structure caused by a vibration or oscillation that occurred in flight
and was associated with the design of the plane; and the Comet had a
series of catastrophic early failures which were eventually traced to
metal fatigue and crack grown around the windows occurring after
multiple pressurization and depressurization cycles. Both were prime
examples of the learning process associated with civil aviation and
aviation technology.

Am I recalling this correctly?