Old September 2nd 04, 04:50 PM
Keith Willshaw

"David Lentz" wrote in message
.. .

The war in Europe was largely fought along the Russian front.

True to a point up until D-Day but from that point onwards
the germans had to pull more and more troops from Russia to shore
up the Western front. The Nazis knew that once the Ruhr fell
it was all over and the western allies were a much more urgent
threat in late 1944.

By November 1944 there were more German troops committed
in the west than the east

The strategic
air campaign supported the Allied policy of keeping the Soviets in the

war.

It also diverted immense amounts of german air power and critically
weakened the German air force both by destroying large numbers
of aircraft and pilots and destroying their fuel supply.

I think Roosevelt's biggest fear wa that the Soviet would make another
sepeate peace with Germany. It was a fear of Eisenhower.

That was scarcely a likely outcome after the battle of Stalingrad
The Russians were themselves terrified that the AngloAmericans
would do the same. The Germans saw the western allies as
opponents but the Russians were a racial enemy. They
fought it not for territory but to make the Slav's extinct.
The Russians understood that.

I think it safe to say that the strategic air campaign shortened the war,
but I do t think the war could have been won without it.

Perhaps but at much higher cost.

Keith