Old June 4th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another Long Cross Country: HPN to PAO in 6 Days (long)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 05:32:45 +0000 (UTC),
(John Clear) wrote:
Ok, one more.
http://www.dr-amy.com/rich/flying/kpao.html has a
ton of local knowledge/landmarks for PAO. Like most airports, it
has its share of 'weird' local reporting points.

Rich is a CFI at my club but I'd never seen that before. Cool site.
Wish I had known about it when I was a student.

Funny...in my 90 hours of flying, all of which has originated at Palo
Alto and includes lots of pattern work during primary training, I have
NEVER heard tower refer to the Old Yacht Harbor, Bird House, Spot,
Water Treatment Plant, Antenna Farm, Dump, or Cooley Landing. And I've
only heard "Duck Pond" a couple of times (usually they'll just say
"short final").

Speaking of the yacht harbor I just read an article about someone in
the city govt wanting to initiate a study of resurrecting it. This
would require rerouting San Francisquito creek. It was the original
rerouting of the creek that spelled the end of the harbor in the first
place. Sounds crazy but it actually has merit since the creek needs
some major work (e.g. levy improvement) anyways to reduce flooding
risk. What kind of tony waterside town doesn't have a yacht club
anyways, eh?

Okay, apologies for my OT detour!

Blair