Old November 18th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

Default AOPA Expo, meeting JayB, getting stuck in Lancaster on the wayhome, fulfilling the commercial certificate long solo x-c...long

Jim Burns wrote:
Great write up!
So what was your overall take on your first long solo cross-country flight
"in the system"?
Jim

Overall, a great experience being able to file IFR, even though in the
end I never touched a cloud. Also, I did a lot more route planning for
this trip, really the most IFR-oriented planning (MEA considerations,
alternates, "where is the small(er) cumulo-granite?" kind of questions).
I had fun planning things as this was my first time flying in the
southern CA airspace.

On the way home, while enjoying the sunshine from 10000 MSL, knowing
that I could have landed anywhere along my route that was under 1500 ft.
overcast was nice too.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado