Old November 18th 03, 09:10 AM
Bruno Ramseyer

"Paul Remde" wrote in message news:rQgub.32000$Dw6.156983@attbi_s02...
I just find this absurd. I'm very angry about the sudden change.

As Ian mentioned this decision was taken by the IGC Plenum at their
meeting
in March 2003 and was mentioned in the minutes of this meeting so no
question about sudden change.

If I remember correctly, Steve Fossett is using a GPS-NAV (and a 302 I
believe) and currently setting world records in the southern hemisphere.

I think Mr. Fossett is well capable to afford a flight recorder which
is suitable for World Records.

I'm still waiting for a good answer to the question why. Why is the GPS-NAV
suddenly not secure for world records?

Your anger must have blinded you, just read the points mentioned in
Ians mailing which is in perfect English.

This is not acceptable behavior by the IGC.

What exactly do you not find acceptable? Progress? Computing power has
changed considerably since these initial specifications were
introduced. I think pilots going for world records will be happy in
the knowledge that their traces come from FR's with the highest
security available and nobody will be able to manufacture a record by
breaking the security of these older FR's.

Regards
Bruno
IGC-GNSS Committee

Paul Remde

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
om...
Paul Remde wrote:

Yes, but doesn't the CAI system work? It is my impression that it is
perfectly secure and has never been compromised. So why suddenly call

it
"insecure".

As of January 1st, the CAI Model 10/20/25 won't be considered
"insecure", they just won't be considered "secure enough" for world
records. You can still use it for badges, 1000K+ diplomas, contests,
etc., just not world records.

What is the plan to get the approval back in place? What must CAI do to
make it meet your new requirements?

Minimally, a firmware upgrade would be required, but it is not clear
that the microcontroller is fast enough to support the needed changes.
The manufacturer(s?) is the only one that can provide an answer...

Marc